Thursday, May 29, 2008

Learning Chinese

Oh, the joys of learning a new language. Brian and I are beginning language training even though we have another year before we head off to Asia. We've been encouraged that this is good preparation.

You might ask, "What does your training consist of?" That's a three-part answer!
#1: We are using a language program on CDs. Brian just compled the first level (30 lessons that are 30-minutes each). I'm about to listen to lesson #26. I've gotten behind a bit.
#2: We are attending a Chinese conversation class at one of the L.A. libraries. Our teacher, Grace, is a lot of fun. She explains the origin of the characters very well.
#3: www.chinesepod.com Check it out! This website has different levels of lessons that are about 10 minutes long. You too can learn to speak Mandarin Chinese!

Brian and I practice at home asking each other in Chinese, "Would you like to drink water?" The language CDs are designed for business men, so they've had some funny conversations. In one of them a man asks, "Can you buy a lot of beer?" The woman replies, "Yes." To this the man responds, "Then, I will have dinner with you!" Of course, we've learned other useful phrases. Here are some of the favorites:

"How many children to you have?"/"I have no children."
"Where is my husband?"/ "I don't know."
"Do you want to drink tea or beer?"/"I like tea."
"Go straight ahead, then turn left."
"Which flight goes to Hong Kong?"
...and one which we will use many times: "I don't understand what you are saying."

P.S. Another fun website is www.engrish.com. It's one of the reasons we are going to teach English in China.